The College will commence with three broad educational pathways:
- General pathway
- Literacy/numeracy support pathway – a selective pathway providing specialist support for students with identified literacy and numeracy needs
- Aspirational academic pathway – for students who may be considering university studies in the future
Students at different stages of their schooling life may be more suited to a different pathway and provisions will be made to accommodate these moves between pathways where possible.
Coastal Lakes College has a brand new, state-of-the-art Inclusive Education Support hub co-located inside the new Coastal Lakes College.
Coastal Lakes College opens in 2019 for Year 7 students on the mainstream campus. Students in Year 7 and 8 can enrol in the Inclusive Education Support program in 2019. The school will enrol a new Year 7 cohort each year. The Inclusive Education Support hub is only able to enrol students who satisfy the Department of Education’s criteria. Where it has been demonstrated that a student has an inclusive education need, placement may be permitted if agreed by the parent, Principal and School Psychology Service.
The Inclusive Education Support hub provides the opportunity for students with a disability to attend a specialist facility at a school in their local community.
Specialist Education Support Teachers and Education Assistants will deliver evidence-based, individualised programmes to develop each student’s educational, physical and social skills. Our integrated location within the mainstream campus allows us to tailor the education experience for each student, so they can learn in the most appropriate and least restrictive environment. Students can learn in the Inclusive Education Support hub, or participate in mainstream classes with support from an Education Assistant, depending on their individual needs.
At Coastal Lakes College Education Support hub, we believe:
- Every student can achieve success
- Every student can learn in the least restrictive environment that meets their individual needs
- Every student can have the skills and supports to have a fulfilling life